Austin, a recap.

I finally made it to the city that I love and had a wonderful time.

In addition to tacos, I also ate some delicious other meals/snacks in ATX.

At Max's Wine Dive I ate fried chicken and champagne (because "why the hell not?" they boast on their site.)  It had been years since I tasted the fatty crunchy yum of fried chicken (gluten-free, of course) and I was happy to be back in the game.  They also brought the chicken along with a chipotle honey that I could not stop slathering onto my bird.
Fried Chicken pairs perfectly with a glass of bubbly!
I had an epic burger at HopDoddy's on South Congress. They too catered to the glutards of the world with a "non-gluten" bun option.  The line wrapping around the building was initially intimidating but well worth the wait (and it moved rather fast).  I ordered that day's Daily Special -- a burger topped with pulled pork and cole slaw and maybe some other things....cheese....but I was busy trying not to have a heart attack to remember.  I also had truffle fries and a salted caramel milkshake.  It was a big day and oh so yummy.

A toasted gluten-free bun!
In order to caffeinate during my stay, I made my way to The Brew & Brew which serves coffee and beer (at 8am, I chose a coffee).  They speak of a Modular Espresso machine on their website, so I ordered a latte from this sleek and minimalist apparatus and it was extremely tasty, although a bit too luke warm for my liking.  I need something piping hot for a chilly Austin morning!
Check out the Espresso machines in the back!  They look like large faucets.

I also ate fried pickles from a food truck.  The gluten-freeness was questionable, but their flavor and perfect salty crispiness was not.

It was a shame that I did not eat any BBQ (I hear Stubb's is a great place) or hear live music (Austin is the Live Music Capital of the World....gasp!) or spend a night out on East 6th Street.  These are all very Austiny things to do and I know I will return and do them.  I must.

Other things I did: 
  • Visited UT's campus and took a walk around the enormous football stadium.  Go Bevo!
  • Strolled through the Blanton Museum of Art and saw some really amazing exhibits of modern art
  • Walked a bajillion miles
  • Picked up a copy of Edible Austin and learned about what's cookin' (pun intended) in the Austin area
  • Tried to say y'all
  • Sat in the lobby of the famous Driskill Hotel where the Texas Rangers plotted to capture Bonnie and Clyde
  • Strolled around the Capitol Building and passed by the Governor's Mansion

Almost all of my experiences in Austin have been documented.  Here you go.
I


And some things are just better left unsaid (unblogged).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3. A Taco Tour (in Three Parts)

2. A Taco Tour (in Three Parts)

1. A Taco Tour (in Three Parts)