Inspiration from My Dad

Every so often, my Dad emails my sister and me with an article, a quote, or some infographic that really hits home with its "realness" and life lessons.

Yesterday was one of those days.

From my dad*

For reasons too convoluted to describe, I was looking at some of the dialogue from A Thousand Clowns, in which I performed in 1965  as Nick.  The story is around an uncle bringing up his 12-year-old nephew (Nick) and the social workers want to take Nick away.  Murray, a wise soul, protests as follows:

Murray Burns: I just want him to stay with me until I can be sure he won't turn into Norman Nothing. I want to be sure he'll know when he's chickening out on himself. I want him to get to know exactly the special thing he is or else he won't notice it when it starts to go. I want him to stay awake and know who the phonies are, I want him to know how to holler and put up an argument, I want a little guts to show before I can let him go. I want to be sure he sees all the wild possibilities. I want him to know it's worth all the trouble just to give the world a little goosing when you get the chance. And I want him to know the subtle, sneaky, important reason why he was born a human being and not a chair.


Thanks, Dad!  Every day I try and see all the wild possibilities.


*He's the best dad I've ever had...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3. A Taco Tour (in Three Parts)

2. A Taco Tour (in Three Parts)

1. A Taco Tour (in Three Parts)